Friday, October 31, 2008

Free or Installment Plan?


There was this advert on thestar.com.my screaming "Subscribe to Streamyx Basic for only RM99 per month and get a FREE PC".

wow! a FREE PC? Standard Streamyx charge RM99 for 1MB with modem -if I sign up I get a FREE COMPAQ? that's a good deal -no?

Well - I click on the advert which leads me to HP Compaq website.

Again - the advert is there "Kick start your ride into the future with TM Streamyx! Sign up the Streamyx 1.0 Mbps today at only RM99 per month and get a FREE Desktop so that you can surf, download and connect instantly! That's right, a FREE Desktop! So, hurry and don't miss out this great offer."

The footnote in the picture tell u as much - 0% INTEREST INSTALMENT PLAN FOR UP TO 24 MONTHS" (yes they missed an L in the "instalment " )

You click on the More Infor and it will ask you to download a FORM to be submitted to HP.

And this is some of the T&C for the so call FREE PC:

1: This promotion is applicable to new personal application and only to qualified Malaysian credit cardholders (Visa or MasterCard) of the participating banks.
3: Customer must subscribe for this promotion through interest free installment scheme of 24 mon
ths offered by the participating banks.

So You must have a Credit Card and must pay for 24 months. And now look at this T&C:

(ii) HP PC Packages includes:
• The PC package is only applicable if customers complete the minimum subscription period of 24 months. PC package which do not conform to the 24 months subscription period shall be
excluded from this offer and the Customer is liable for the cost of the PC as shall be determined by TM


Note the word "Installment/Subscription period". According to the T&C buyers are "tied-in" for the next 24month for RM99 which means we are paying RM2376...

I am confused. Since when is an installment/subscription plan equals to FREE???

FREE PC as advertised by any definition would mean that if I sign up for Streamyx - pay Telekom the relevant charges and I should be entitled for the Free PC. But no, look at this T&C"

During this 24-month period, the bank will charge the monthly installment in the customersí credit card account. Thereafter, TM will charge customers automatically the Streamyx monthly subscription fee by issuing the Streamyx bill. TM reserves the right to determine the charges from time to time

That means for the first 24th month I am not paying for my streamyx connection but is paying either the credit card company or HP and only after the 24th month Streamyx will start charging me the monthly bill - either way - I AM DEFINITELY NOT GETTING THE PC FREE! darn it!

If there is anything free for the first 24th month it is my streamyx connection.

How misleading and mischievios can the advertisement be?

Just to be sure I called HP and the rep told me - it is free! you only pay RM99 installment per month for the next 24th month... blah blah blah...

Am I blur or is that rep sotong or what?

If I am paying them 24th month of installment - am I PAYING or am I getting it FOR F-KING FREE????

What kind of distorted freaking logic is that?

No comments: